Learning really is fun at the Cape Town Science Centre. This non-profit organisation, located in Observatory’s Main street, has taken up the challenge to prove how interesting science and physics really can be – and succeeded. If your children dislike these subjects at school, a trip to this amazing place will change their opinion forever.
That’s just one of the reasons to include this stop in your plans while staying in Cape Town City accommodation though. Here are some more.
It’s Fun for All Ages at Great Rates
The Cape Town Science Centre caters to curious minds of all ages. Children from as young as 3 years old can benefit from a day trip here. Adults are welcome and often appear to enjoy themselves as much as the kids!
Tickets are R65 per person no matter what your age and there are discounts for family and school groups. Granny and gramps pay only R30 if they want to join in the fun. Locals can purchase season tickets which work out to less than R6 per day.
Always Something New
The Science Centre is a work in progress with new exhibits added all the time. Some of the familiar favourites include:
- The Murray and Roberts Construction Site where budding engineers can put together fantasy buildings and learn more about safety in the construction industry.
- The human gyroscope where kids can experience the feeling of weightlessness associated with space travel.
- Puzzles and games galore – all with a science-based theme.
- An entire room filled with Lego.
- The miniature train set up, complete with tiny people, buildings, plants and animals.
- A giant chess board.
- A life-size replica of Mark Shuttleworth’s Soyuz space capsule.
- The inflatable planetarium.
There’s plenty more to see and do every day at the Cape Town Science Centre.
Awesome Special Events
During every school holiday, the centre hosts daily displays, discussions and experiments geared towards young enquiring minds.
Some of the fun includes building robots, seeing who can create the tallest tower out of household ingredients and wrestling the DNA out of an onion. There are so many ways for children to have fun and learn amazing things at the same time.
Planning a Cape Town Self-Catering Stay with Kids
Our private, exclusive properties are the perfect place for your children to let their hair down these holidays. Book your accommodation with us for a hassle-free holiday and keep reading our blog for inspiration on things to do in Cape Town.